Youth Pledge is an authentic evidence of the Indonesia’s birth. SO, Indonesia wasn’t born when the Independence declared-17 August 1945, instead of the day when Youth Pledge had been made-28 October 1928. The cause of the Indonesia’s birth is because the youths wanted to be free from the colonialism of Dutch.
Youth Pledgen was born in The 2nd Youth Congress in a building at Jalan Karamat Jaya No. 106 in Waltervreden (now: Jakarta). The leader of the Congress was Soegondo Djojopoespito and was attended by 71 participants from many organizations such as Jong Java, Jong Celebes, Jong Batak, Jong Sumatranen Bond, Jong Islamieten Bond, Sekar Rukun, PPPI, dan Pemuda Kaum Betawi. The Youth Pledge itself was written by Muhammad Yamin when Mr. Sunario was doing speech in front of participants.
The pledge reads
- Kami putra dan putri Indonesia, mengaku bertumpah darah yang satu, tanah Indonesia.
- Kami putra dan putri Indonesia, mengaku bebangsa yang satu, bangsa Indonesia.
- Kami putra dan putri Indonesia, menjunjung bahasa persatuan, bahasa Indonesia
- We the sons and daughters of Indonesia, acknowledge one motherland, Indonesia.
- We the sons and daughters of Indonesia, acknowledge one nation, the nation of Indonesia.
- We the sons and daughters of Indonesia, respect the language of unity, Indonesian.
From those, I would like to give some sightseeing of Youth Pledge.
– The Indonesian Youth Generation should be proud of their country.
– Youth Pledge was born from the unity of Youth Generation at that time.
– We should do as the Youth Pledge reads